Sunday, July 17, 2011

Serendipity Strikes Again

Eddie McGehee: "The Songs, Stories and Images of the Great Depression"
So there I was, 8:30 Friday night, on my way to the car to head home when I heard music and laughter coming from South Whidbey Commons. Eddie McGehee was playing songs and telling stories about the Great Depression. The place was packed and everyone was singing along. Eddie is a sketcher's dream - the hat, beard, overalls, guitar, flowing white hair. I just happened to have my art bag with me, so I had to try to get a sketch.  I didn't see much of the show, but enough to see that Eddie is a real crowd-pleaser. It looked like a really fun and educational show.

The lovely and talented Simone, a fellow artist
I had to work fast and sketch standing up to see over the crowd and I noticed a cute little girl standing on a chair next to me looking over my shoulder. She told me, "You draw good!"  She had been making her own pictures and showed me her fabulous crayon drawings. Recognizing a kindred spirit and connoisseur of fine art, I offered to draw her picture after the show ended. No time for color -- they were closing up, so I did added watercolor later at home. What a fun way to end the evening!

1 comment:

  1. Your sketch of Simone is so sweet! Nice work! And I like the connoisseur part:o)

    ReplyDelete