Friday, August 11, 2017

Sketching at Double Bluff Beach

A "Two-fer" today - Sketching with the gang, and also turning in my homework for Miguel "Freekhand" Herranz's Urban Sketching Klass in Sketchbook Skool. His technique for Spiral Drawing (a very enjoyable technique, by the way) involves drawing out from a detailed central focal area, spiraling out to the edges. You can capture a lot of detail this way, without getting confused. It was a perfect fit for my day of drawing down at the beach with the Whidbey Island Sketchers. Double Bluff beach was having a very low tide and people were out it droves to enjoy it. At one glance up I counted around 45 people on the tide flats! 
I am always drawn to the driftwood "huts" that people assemble and leave on the beach, and wanted to draw the beach scene outside of one, from inside it. Sketcher buddies Barbara and Mary put together a driftwood seat inside for me so I could sit and draw. It was a perfectly wonderful 2 1/2 hours in the shade and sea breeze. You'll notice I did not say SUNSHINE, as the skies are still murky and smoke filled from the fires. But it was glorious, nonetheless.










1 comment:

  1. Hey, Judi, this is absolutely lovely! What a fun sketching day ... and thanks for teaching us the spiral technique! Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete